- Italian: vorticoso
Vortical means pertaining to a vortex or to vortices. In fluid dynamics, the movement of a fluid can be said to be vortical if the fluid moves around in a circle, or in a helix, or if it tends to spin around some axis. Such motion can also be called solenoidal.
Vortical movement is characterized by non-zero curl:
- \operatorname\ \mathbf \ne 0,
The curl of the velocity (at a specified point of the vector field) yields a vector which points in the direction around which the fluid is rotating.
- Ting, L., "Viscous vortical flows" (Lecture notes in physics). Springer-Verlag 1991. ISBN 3-540-53713-9.
- Vortical Flow Research Lab (MIT) -- Study of flows found in nature and part of the Department of Ocean Engineering.
- Kida, Shigeo, "Life, Structure, and Dynamical Role of Vortical Motion in Turbulence". National Institute for Fusion Science, Theory and Computer Simulation Center. (PDF)
- Marcos, C. de la Fuente, and P. Barge, "''The effect of long-lived vortical circulation on the dynamics of dust particles in the mid-plane of a protoplanetary disc".
- "Vortical''" images via Google.
affluent, circumgyratory, circumvolutory, confluent, coursing, cyclonic, decurrent, defluent, diffluent, flowing, fluent, fluxional, fluxive, gulfy, gushing, gyral, gyrational, gyratory, gyrostatic, mazy, meandering, pouring, profluent, racing, rotary, rotational, rotatory, running, rushing, serpentine, sluggish, streaming, surging, surgy, swirly, tidal, tornadic, trochilic, vertiginous, whirlabout, whirligig, whirlwindish, whirlwindy, whirly